"Learning in Our Neighborhood Community"
March Into Reading
Family Newsletter March/ April 2017
Make Noise Against Bullying!!
This week at RKA we worked on raising awareness around Anti Bullying and Bullying Prevention. Our theme this year was Make Noise Against Bullying. We are aiming to have students recognize the various ways that bullying takes place in order that they become more aware of their own actions and that they might be able to help a potential victim out by befriending them, avoid being a passive bystander or telling an adult.
An Important Message from Ms. O'Mara
And, when I write “us”, I mean ALL of us: teachers, staff, parents and students. Together our hard work is paying off. As you may have read this weekend, the NY Post has once again listed RKA as one of the top high schools in NYC. I am proud of our ranking as #29 and only one of two schools in the Bronx (Specialized HS were not included).
The New York Post’s high-school rankings are based on the latest available state and city data, using these factors:
• Four-year-graduation rate (weight: 10%)
• Percent of students scoring over 85 on Regents Integrated Algebra and Regents English Language Arts exams, including Common Core (20%)
• Number of students taking Advanced Placement exams (7.5%)
• Percent scoring a passing 3, 4, or 5 on AP exams (22.5%)
• Number taking SAT exams (10%)
• Average total SAT scores (30%)
So, thank you all for your hard work day in and day out. I continue to love working at RKA as we push toward an even brighter future!
Things you should know!
RKA Notes....Things you should know
Week of March 27th
* Hard copies of report cards were distributed to middle and high school students today (Mon 3/27) in PM homerooms. Report cards are also available for viewing on PupilPath. Haven't registered for PupilPath yet? Contact JPrince4@schools.nyc.gov for instructions!
* The New York State ELA Exam will be administered in grades 6 through 8 on Tues, Wed, and Thurs 3/28 through 3/30. Please ensure that your child gets a good night's sleep and eats a good breakfast. It is extra-important that students arrive to school on time at 8:20, and have at least two sharpened #2 pencils. Students may also want to bring in an independent reading book in case he/she finishes the test early.
* The deadline for submissions has closed for the RKA Parents' Association's RKA Roar Film Festival. The celebratory viewing will take place this Sat 4/1 from 2:00-3:30 in the RKA auditorium. Refreshments will be on sale.
* The next meeting of the Parents' Association is next Mon 4/3 at 7:00 PM in the RKA library. Ms. O'Mara will be on hand for an update, and the guest speaker will be Phoebe Downes from the Riverdale Neighborhood House. If you are interested in running for an Executive Board office for the upcoming school year, or would like to volunteer to serve on the nominating committee, contact Nancy Moukas at email@example.com or Annette Acosta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Parents, the deadline to complete your green Learning Environment Survey is this Fri 3/31. Your confidential feedback is very important; please take a few minutes to complete it if you have not already. Never got yours? Contact JPrince4@schools.nyc.gov.
* "March Into Reading" closes on Fri 3/31. Stay tuned to see who were the tope readers in each middle school grade, and which ELA class will win the big pizza party! And don't shut those books just yet! Ms. Loving will be starting up "Spring Into Reading" for ALL grades very soon. Stop by the school library for more details!
* In Sports: The Boys' Baseball Team has three games scheduled this week, weather permitting. Mon 3/27 against Roosevelt Educational Campus at Crotona Park #4, Tues 3/28 against In-Tech (venue TBA), and Thurs 3/30 at home, again against In-Tech. All games start at 4:00. The Girls' Softball Team hosts Lehman Campus on Tues 3/28, travels to Harris field #2 to play American Studies on Wed 3/29, and hosts DeWitt Clinton on Fri 3/31, all at 4:00. The Boys' Track Team competes at Harry S Truman on Tues 3/28 at 4:00. The Girls' Track Team goes to DeWitt Clinton on Wed 3.29 at 4:00. And golf is back! The Coed Golf Team plays Stuyvesant High School at Van Cortlandt Park on Thurs 3/30 at 4:00.
General PA meeting - 4/3
PSAT/SAT Day - 4/5
RCC Youth Expo - 4/6
Poetry Cafe - 4/7
Spring Recess - 4/10 through 4/18
School Calendar 2016-2017
Please enjoy the late winter edition of the RKA Gazette- our student newspaper!
Congratulations to the RKA Girls Volleyball team who captured the City Championship!!
Congratulations to the RKA Girls Volleyball team who captured the City Championship title last night. It was an excellent action –packed match with the girls battling back from a loss in the first set. We were standing the whole time as we watched the girls scrap it out and work as a team. Very exciting! Congratulations to Coach Reingold and the entire team. We are so proud of you!
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Lori O'Mara, at Lomara@schools.nyc.gov to request assistance.