An Important Message from Ms. O'Mara
And, when I write “us”, I mean ALL of us: teachers, staff, parents and students. Together our hard work is paying off. As you may have read this weekend, the NY Post has once again listed RKA as one of the top high schools in NYC. I am proud of our ranking as #29 and only one of two schools in the Bronx (Specialized HS were not included).
The New York Post’s high-school rankings are based on the latest available state and city data, using these factors:
• Four-year-graduation rate (weight: 10%)
• Percent of students scoring over 85 on Regents Integrated Algebra and Regents English Language Arts exams, including Common Core (20%)
• Number of students taking Advanced Placement exams (7.5%)
• Percent scoring a passing 3, 4, or 5 on AP exams (22.5%)
• Number taking SAT exams (10%)
• Average total SAT scores (30%)
So, thank you all for your hard work day in and day out. I continue to love working at RKA as we push toward an even brighter future!
The David A Stein Riverdale Kingsbridge Academy
660 W.237th Street
Bronx, NY 10463
(718) 796-8657 Fax
(347) 610-0149 BB
Follow me on Twitter @OmaraRKA141
Principal's Newsletter September 2016
School Calendar 2016-2017
Supply List 2016-2017
In order to encourage student-organization and to minimize costs to families, we have adopted a school-wide supply list. This will make the expectations across the school consistent, and we hope it will also lighten the book bags too! Supplies will need to be replenished throughout the year; quantities provided are the numbers needed to start the year.
Summer Homework Directions: Grades 9-12
Summer Reading List: Grades 9-12
12th Grade Summer Summer ESSAY
Summer Homework Directions: Grades 6-8
Summer reading list Grades 6-8
RKA Library Webpage:
Things you should know!
RKA Notes....Things you should knowWeek of September 26th
* Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the RKA Parents' Association car wash. Tonight, Mon 9/26, is the first general meeting of the RKA PA at 7:00 PM in the RKA library. Ms. O'Mara will be present for a greeting and an update, there will be the opportunity to sign up for committees and there will be an election for open positions on the School Leadership Team. All parents and caregivers are welcome and encouraged to attend.
* Important vaccination information: All students in the seventh grade must have a single dose of MenACWY. Students entering twelfth grade must have two doses of MenACWY or one dose after sixteen years of age. The second dose must be given at or after the child turns sixteen, if not, a third dose of MenACWY is required. Please consult with your child's pediatrician for more information, and be sure to submit proof of the vaccinations to Ms. Zelazny in the RKA main office. Children and adults can access immunization services at NYC H+H Gunhill, located at 1012 E. Gunhill Road, Bronx. More nformation on low-cost vaccination clinics can be found at: http://www.1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/immunization-clinics.page.
* The Riverdale Community Center begins its AYEC program this Tuesday evening. Classes are also available on Saturday mornings. Students interested in test prep or portfolio preparations courses for the specialized high schools should check out their website: riverdalecommunitycenter.org.
* There is a tenth and eleventh grade parent meeting this Wed 9/28, at 6:30 in the RKA auditorium. The time to start thinking about college plans is NOW. Please come to this meeting to begin the conversation.
* Eighth grade families! The Specialized High School Applications are due to Ms. Aponte-Acosta on Fri 10/2. The Department of Education deadlines are firm, so please be sure to get these in in a timely fashion. There is also the eighth grade parent meeting on Wed 10/5 at 6:30 PM; parents may also submit the applications on this evening. This is a very important meeting that covers the high school admissions process and also eighth grade dues and activities, so please make every effort to attend.
* In Sports: The Boys' Soccer Team travels to Heritage Field at Macombs Dam Park to play In Tech Academy on Mon 9/26. They go to Harris Park #2 to play Taft on Wed 9/28. On Friday, they will be at Randall's Island #44 to once again play In Tech. All games start at 4:00. The Girls' Soccer Team plays Eleanor Roosevelt at Van Cortlandt Park on Tues 9/27, and returns to Vannie on Thurs 9/29 to play High School of Math, Science, and Engineering--both games at 4:00. The girls also have a game on Sun 10/2 at 10:00 AM against Truman, playing at DeWitt Clinton field. The Boys' Cross Country Team has a meet on Tues 9/27 at Van Cortlandt Park at 4:00. The Girls' Cross Country Team has their meet the following day, competing at Vannie on Wed 9/28 at 4:00. Both teams compete in the NYC Mayor's Cup Cross Country Championship on Sun 10/2 at 1:00 PM. The Girls' Volleyball Team has their first game of the season at Grace Dodge on Tues 9/27 at 4:30. They travel again to Grace Dodge to play In Tech Academy on Thurs 9/29 at 5:30.
Senior Parent Meeting/ Financial Aid Night – 10/6 at 6:30 in the auditorium. Very important. Please be aware that the FAFSA Can now be filed as early as October. Please not miss this important meeting.
No school on 10/3 and 10/4 for Rosh Hashanah.
Dear High School Families,
Samantha Rosette gets honored at her school for not only being a good student, but a great athlete.
Student voter registration day!!