Important Message from Mrs. O'Mara, Principal
A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone who came out the support Sunday's Zumba-Spin-O-Rama! Funds were raised to support RKA's athletics program, and a great time was had by all.
Many thanks to the tireless planning and work of the RKA Parents' Association on this, and their many other initiatives.
The event was really fantastic, and we did make a bunch of money. Hats off to Taffy for a super idea!
Bronx 12 Zumba-Spin-o-Rama news story link:
Science Olympiad Team
Congratulations to our Science Olympiad team! They represented us very well. We increased our standings from 39th to 30th putting us squarely at the mid-line of participating schools. In addition, 4 of our students earned medals in their events: Kyle Krenzel, Kimberly Diaz, Brianna Nuñez and Margele Shala.
Very special thank yous go out to Devin Walsh and Michael Rivera and Sean Mohan for coaching and Sheilagh Lustig for chaperoning. Thank you also to RCC who generously funded the activity.
Check out the very cool pics…the back of the shirts read “RKA is in our DNA.”
RKA Notes..Things you should know.
Week of May 18th
RKA Notes....Things you should know
* Congratulations to all the students inducted into the National and Junior National Honor Society last week. Your academic prowess and service to the community make us proud. Thank you also to all the parents and family members who packed the auditorium to cheer them on! And a special thanks as well, to Honor Society Coordinator, Yvette Velez, for the unseen hard work and organization she put into planning and carrying out the ceremony.
* The RKArnival last Friday was a rousing success, and a good time was had by all. Many, many thanks to Parents' Association Co-presidents, Amy Carr and Taffy Dabby, as well as the tireless members of the PA who give hours upon hours of their time to this, and other events, all in the name of benefitting the RKA community. We appreciate your generous efforts!
* Tues 6/2 is a non-attendance day for all students who are NOT taking either the Regents examination in English Language Arts-Common Core at 8:15 AM or the Regents examination in Geometry Common Core- 12:15 PM. Only those students sitting for those exams come at those designated times. Students are dismissed after exam. No other students are in attendance that day.
* Seniors--don't forget that you must hand in your documented community service hours for graduation directly to Ms. Velez in room 140 NO LATER than Fri 5/22. If you have any questions, contact YVelez@schools.nyc.gov.
* Deadline for nominations for the upcoming "You Make a Difference" celebratory breakfast is Thurs 5/28. This is an opportunity for students, parents, teachers, and staff to recognize an individual who has made a difference in their life at RKA. Teachers often nominate a student who has overcome odds, or is a special help to them, or they might nominate a fellow teacher being a supportive colleague. Has a teacher gone "above and beyond" to help your child succeed? Here's the perfect opportunity to give them a "shout out!" A simple brief paragraph is all that is needed; honorees and their nominators will be invited to the breakfast reception on Fri 6/5 at 7:30 AM.
* In Sports: On Sun 5/24 our younger members of the Boys' and Girls' Track and Field Team compete in the Freshman/Sophomore City Championships at Randall's Island Ichan Stadium. And "congratulations” to Coach Hirsh and the Boys' Lacrosse Teamfor making it all the way to the playoffs in their very first year of competition! We are proud of all our coaches and student athletes as the sports year draws to a close. Go Tigers!