"Learning in Our Neighborhood Community"
March Into Reading
After-School Dance Program Spring 2017
Principal's Newsletter February 2017
Family Newsletter February 2017
Make Noise Against Bullying!!
This week at RKA we worked on raising awareness around Anti Bullying and Bullying Prevention. Our theme this year was Make Noise Against Bullying. We are aiming to have students recognize the various ways that bullying takes place in order that they become more aware of their own actions and that they might be able to help a potential victim out by befriending them, avoid being a passive bystander or telling an adult.
Congratulations to the RKA Girls Volleyball team who captured the City Championship!!
Congratulations to the RKA Girls Volleyball team who captured the City Championship title last night. It was an excellent action –packed match with the girls battling back from a loss in the first set. We were standing the whole time as we watched the girls scrap it out and work as a team. Very exciting! Congratulations to Coach Reingold and the entire team. We are so proud of you!
An Important Message from Ms. O'Mara
And, when I write “us”, I mean ALL of us: teachers, staff, parents and students. Together our hard work is paying off. As you may have read this weekend, the NY Post has once again listed RKA as one of the top high schools in NYC. I am proud of our ranking as #29 and only one of two schools in the Bronx (Specialized HS were not included).
The New York Post’s high-school rankings are based on the latest available state and city data, using these factors:
• Four-year-graduation rate (weight: 10%)
• Percent of students scoring over 85 on Regents Integrated Algebra and Regents English Language Arts exams, including Common Core (20%)
• Number of students taking Advanced Placement exams (7.5%)
• Percent scoring a passing 3, 4, or 5 on AP exams (22.5%)
• Number taking SAT exams (10%)
• Average total SAT scores (30%)
So, thank you all for your hard work day in and day out. I continue to love working at RKA as we push toward an even brighter future!
Please enjoy the Autumn edition of the RKA Gazette- our student newspaper!
1st Ever Student Film Festival!!
Things you should know!
RKA Notes....Things you should know
Week of March 20th
* It was a big weekend! Congratulations to the students who performed in "RKA's Got Talent" and to Ms. Morales and Mr. Flanagan who pulled it all together. It was a great show. Thanks also to The RKA Parents' Association who held a very successful auction gala that same evening--it was a huge success! Stay tuned for pictures of both events--and much more--in the upcoming Principal's Newsletter.
* Thanks to all the parents who made it out on a very icy day to last Thursday's Parent/Teacher Conferences. You will be hearing soon about the Student-Led Conferences, which are coming up in May. A gentle reminder to parents who picked up their green Learning Environment Surveys at conferences, please remember to complete those (they can be done online or on the hard copy and mailed in the postage-paid envelope) by Fri 3/31. Parents who did not pick up the surveys at conferences, please check your child's book bag this week, as those will be distributed to students in homeroom to bring home to you. Thank you!
* Students in all grades will be taking learning environment surveys as well this week, and are encouraged to answer them honestly and thoughtfully. Teachers and other staff are part of this Department of Education initiative as well, and the feedback provided by these confidential surveys from all facets of the school community helps to inform and shape future planning and initiatives.
* Mon 3/27 is the deadline to submit applications and dues for the National Honor Society (grades 7 through 12). All paperwork must be handed directly to Ms. Velez in room 140. Please note the exception on Fri 3/24; Ms. Velez will be absent on this day, and students who have their paperwork on this day may hand it in to Ms. Murat in the main office periods 3 through 8. Please note that the Monday deadline is FINAL.
* Students report cards will be distributed in PM homeroom on Monday 3/27. They available for viewing on Pupil Path on Thursday 3/23.
* The next Parents' Association event is the Party & Prom "POP-Up Shop" on Sat 3/25 from 2:00 to 6:00 PM in room 158. There is still time for donations of women's AND men's formalwear items of all types in the big box located in the main lobby. All items will be cleaned and presented at the shop at VERY low prices! Spring is party season, so be sure to stop on by! All proceeds go toward the PA's many initiatives at RKA. If you have any questions, please contact PA@rka141.org.
* The RKA Roar Film Festival submission deadline has been extended to Wed 3/22 at 11:59 PM. Last chance to get those films in--all genres are welcome. Follow the There will be a celebratory showing on Sat 4/1 at 2:00 in the RKA auditorium.
* There's still time to buy discount Yankee tickets for the Sun 4/30 game against the Baltimore Orioles. The deadline is this Sun 3/26 and they can be purchased online at: http://www.rka141.org/rka-donations-direct-appeal-fundraisers.html.
* The PA is still accepting parent volunteers to serve on the nominating committee for next year's Executive Board officers. If you do not plan to run for a position yourself and are interested in serving, please contact Nancy Moukas at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Annette Acosta at email@example.com.
* There are still some spaces in the Alvin Ailey Dance Program that takes place on Wednesdays from 3:00-5:00 PM. The program is now open to students of all ages. Anyone interested should see Ms. Miller in room 214. SMiller43@schools.nyc.gov.
* Scheduling for the upcoming session of the RCC Afterschool Program will take place Wed 3/22 and Thurs 3/23 at 6:35 PM.PLEASE check the RCC website for complete instructions on procedures: www.riverdalecommunitycenter.org.
* Permission forms and payment for the upcoming ninth grade college trip are due Wed 3/22. You can down load the form and letter from the separate email that was sent to ninth grade families earlier today.
* In sports: Spring is here! The Boys' Lacrosse Team has a game against Albert Tuitt Educational Campus at Randall's Island field 73 on Tues 3/21 and a game against Frederick Douglass Academy on Randall's Island field 85 on Sun 3/26. Both games start at 4:00. The Girls' Softball Team travels to Harris Park #2 to play Bronx Science on Tues 3/21, and hosts In-Tech Academy on Fri 3/24, both games starting at 4:00. The Boys' Baseball Team opens its season at Adlai Stevenson Campus on Fri 3/24 at 4:00. All games are weather-condition permitting.
NYS ELA Exam - 3/28 through 3/30
"March Into Reading" closes (Stay tuned for the big winners!) - 3/31
RKA Roar Film Festival - 4/1
General PA Meeting - 4/3
High School Foreign Language awards - 4/4
PSAT/SAT day (grades 10 and 11) - 4/5
RCC Youth Expo - 4/6
Spring Recess - 4/10 through 4/18
School Calendar 2016-2017
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Lori O'Mara, at Lomara@schools.nyc.gov to request assistance.