October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!
2016 Fitness Mash-Up!!
An Important Message from Ms. O'Mara
And, when I write “us”, I mean ALL of us: teachers, staff, parents and students. Together our hard work is paying off. As you may have read this weekend, the NY Post has once again listed RKA as one of the top high schools in NYC. I am proud of our ranking as #29 and only one of two schools in the Bronx (Specialized HS were not included).
The New York Post’s high-school rankings are based on the latest available state and city data, using these factors:
• Four-year-graduation rate (weight: 10%)
• Percent of students scoring over 85 on Regents Integrated Algebra and Regents English Language Arts exams, including Common Core (20%)
• Number of students taking Advanced Placement exams (7.5%)
• Percent scoring a passing 3, 4, or 5 on AP exams (22.5%)
• Number taking SAT exams (10%)
• Average total SAT scores (30%)
So, thank you all for your hard work day in and day out. I continue to love working at RKA as we push toward an even brighter future!
The David A Stein Riverdale Kingsbridge Academy
660 W.237th Street
Bronx, NY 10463
(718) 796-8657 Fax
(347) 610-0149 BB
Follow me on Twitter @OmaraRKA141
School Calendar 2016-2017
Parent/Teacher Conferences are Thursday, November 17th from 1:00-3:00 PM and from 5:30-8:00 PM. Parents may register in advance online at the PTC Scheduler link HERE. Appointments are four minutes in length. Advance registration is highly advised, especially in the middle school. You also have the opportunity to sign up for a limited number of appointments the day or evening of conferences on the sign-in sheet in front of each teacher's classroom door. Please refer questions to JPrince4@schools.nyc.gov.
Things you should know!
RKA Notes....Things you should know
Week of October 17th
* Registration for the 11/17 Parent/Teacher Conferences will be open soon; we are working with the PTC Scheduling company to work out a few glitches. Please stay tuned for updates as we have them. When it's ready, you will find the link to the PTC Scheduler on the school website: RKA141.org, where you can sign up for 4-minute appointments with your child's teachers. Please have your child's program with you when you schedule, or you can find it on Pupil Path. Please do not call the main office for your child's schedule. If you find a teacher's advance appointment schedule filled, you will have the opportunity to sign up on the afternoon or evening of conferences; we do "block out" a half an hour at each in order to allow parents to sign up in person at the teacher's classroom door. You may find you get "closed out" from seeing a particular teacher (especially in the middle school grades). If this proves to be the case, you can leave your contact information with the teacher, and they will be happy to set up an alternate meeting time with you. If you have any questions, please contact JPrince4@schools.nyc.gov. Thank you for your patience!
* It's Breast Cancer Awareness Week at RKA. To raise money for the cancer support group, Fighting Pretty, we are selling special-edition pink and black RKA t-shirts. The order form is attached. Shirts are only $12.00, and must be ordered by Wed 10/19. Shirts will be distributed the following day so that they may be worn on Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Fri 10/21. Whether or not you purchase a shirt, we hope everyone will wear some pink!
* Thurs 10/19 is RKA's annual College Fair from 6:30 to 8:00 PM in the RKA gymnasium. Representatives from colleges and universities from all over the tri-state area will have tables set up with lost of information and representatives on hand, eager to talk with interested high school students and their parents. Representatives of other areas of post high school opportunity will be present, as well. It is open to all grades, and we are always pleased to make this event open to the community, as well. In celebration of the big day and to highlight College Awareness Month, all staff are encouraged to wear their college shirts, and any students, as well!
* Permission slips for the seventh grade trip to the Freedom Tower on Mon 10/24 are due tomorrow, 10/18 to Ms. Roberts in room 124. If you need another copy, it is attached here. Ms. Roberts is also looking for a few parent chaperones, so please contact her if you are interested.
* Permission slips were distributed to students in their homerooms for the upcoming High School Halloween Dance. It takes place on Thurs 10/27 from 7:00-10:00 PM. Please read the form carefully before signing. We want everyone to have fun, but we also want to be safe, so this means costumes are permitted, but NO MASKS. And please in the interest of the current news--no scary clowns! Ms. Roberts will collect the slips in the cafeteria, and the deadline is 10/25.
* All week long, RCC his having its after school program Open House. Parents and caregivers are invited to stop by any day this week between 4:00 and 6:00 to see the program in action. There is a lot of creativity and action in the building after the conclusion of the school day--please stop by and see it all!
* In Sports: The Boys' Cross Country Team will compete in the Bronx Freshman/Sophomore Borough Championships at Van Cortlandt Park on Tues 10/18 at 4:00. The Girls' Cross Country Team will do the same on Wed 10/19 at 4:00. The Girls' Soccer Team plays LaGuardia on Tues 10/18 at Van Cortlandt Park. They travel to Randall's Island field 81 to play Eleanor Roosevelt on Thurs 10/20. Both games start at 4:00. The Boys' Soccer Team plays Morrisania on Randall's Island field 32 on Wed 10/19 and Jane Addams on Randall's Island field 52 on Thurs 10/20. Both games are 4:00. The boys also have a game Sat 10/22 at 4:00 versus The Metropolitan High School at Herbert H. Lehman field B.
* The RKA Parents' Association is taking part in the 2016 "Fitness Mash-Up" at the Whitehall Building (3333 Henry Hudson Parkway) on Sun 11/6. There are a variety of fun and rigorous fitness classes you can take part in, from Spin, to Boot Camp to Zumba! Classes start at 9:00 and run at different times throughout the day. There will also be raffles! Advance registration and pre-payment is required and all the information is on the attached form. Please refer questions to PA VP Amy Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to volunteer to help out, contact Annette Acosta at email@example.com. And we don't want anyone to go hungry, so if you would like to donate snacks (protein bars, bottled water, etc) you can contact Nancy Moukas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Riverdale Kingsbridge Academy - MS/HS 141
660 W. 237 St.
Bronx, NY 10463
718-796-8516, ext 1045
Fifth Grade Parent Tours
RKA opens up registration for Friday morning parent tours. These tours are designed for prospective parents (children will have an opportunity to visit on a later date) and take place on the following dates: 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, and 12/9, beginning at 8:30 AM. We visit several classrooms, the school library, the cafeteria, and discuss the curriculum, the honors program, and the RCC after-school program. There is also an extensive Q&A session. We hope you will join us--please register by clicking on the link HERE.
* We limit the number of parents on each tour to maximize the experience. If the first date you select is closed, please select an alternative date. If you are spouses both wishing to tour, you need only reserve one slot.
* Please be advised that RKA is a zoned middle school; we are only able to accommodate students who reside within our zone. If you have a question as to your zoned catchment, you can check the Department of Education website: http://schools.nyc.gov/schoolsearch/Maps.aspx
Dear High School Families,
- JOIN US!!
- PA Committees
- Social Media
- Mission/Vision Statements
- PA Officers
- PA News & Events
- RKA Donations, Direct Appeal, Fundraisers
- RKA Spirit Store!
- PA Parent Resources
- PA Volunteers
- PA Meetings and Minutes
- Your Donations At Work!
- RKA Communication & Meetings
- School Committees
- Prospective Parent Tours
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Help Desk