"Learning in Our Neighborhood Community"
RKA Notes...Things You Should Know...
RKA Notes....Things you should know
Week of October 16th
* We just completed a successful week of events surrounding Anti-Bullying Week. We had interesting faculty/student panel in each of our high school grades, as well as talks in our middle school classes, a great outreach program for our Tuesday afterschool clubs, and a poster-making contest. We concluded the week with everyone encouraged to wear the anti-bullying color of blue! Tha ks to our faculty and our students for enthusiastically participating! Congratulations to our poster contest winners : 7th grader Adelina Elezaj adn 6th grader Maylen Villalona!!
* Online registration for the 11/9 parent/teacher conferences will open on the PTC Scheduler on Mon 10/16. There will be an additional email sent along with this one with complete instructions. Please read it carefully. If, after reading it in its entirety, you still have questions, please contact JPrince4@schools.nyc.gov.
* 8th grade guidance counselor, Ms. Aponte, has been visiting classrooms this week, distributing the high school applications to students, and carefully reviewing with them how to properly fill them out. Please make sure you see yours and fill it out and return it as quickly as possible. If you have any questions, please reach out directly to Ms. Aponte at JAponteemail@example.com.
* Thurs 10/19 is RKA's annual College Fair, from 6:30-8:00 PM in the RKA auditorium. Over 60 colleges and other institutions of post-secondary endeavor will have representatives present. Students and families of all grades are welcome, and it is also open to the community. During the school day, we are encouraging anyone who has one to wear a college shirt!
* 12th graders will also attend an assembly this week. A representative from the SUNY system will present on Thurs 10/19.
* Activities coordinator Ms. Roberts will be collecting TIGER Tokens in advance of the first TIGER Token party of the year. Collection will take place during student lunch periods on Wed 10/18, and the party--Fall Bingo and Treats--is on Tues 10/24.
* The deadline to purchase ticket and hand in the permission form for the upcoming high school Halloween Dance is Mon 10/23. Senior Dinner permission slips must be submitted to Ms. Gordon by 10/24. Please hand in to Ms. Roberts in room B24. Remember, our deadlines are FIRM this year, so don't be late!
* The next School Leadership Team meeting is Thurs 10/19 at 2:45.
* The end of the first marking period is Fri 10/20.
* Ms. Casella will be conducting cheerleading tryouts for students in grades 8 through 12 on Wed, Thurs, Fri, 10/18 through 10/20. Questions? ACasella@schools.nyc.gov.
* In support of Breast Cancer Awareness, RKA will be selling t-shirts to raise money for the organization "Fighting Pretty" (Fightingpretty.org). Shirts are $12.00 and can be purchased from Ms. Roberts in room B24. They will be sold through Wed 10/25 and delivered to students on Fri 10/27. Let's all wear our shirts together on Mon Oct 30!
* In Sports: The Boys' Soccer Team plays Taft Educational Campus at Van Cortlandt Park on Mon 10/16. They travel to Randall's Island field #83 to play Jane Addams on Fri 10/20. Games start at 4:00. The Girls' Soccer Team travels to Truman on Tues 10/17, and to Christopher Columbus Campus on Thurs 10/19. Both games start at 4:00. The Girls' Volleyball Team hosts Health Opportunities Social Justice High School on Mon 10/16. They have an away game against Grace Dodge on Wed 10/18, and a game at Taft Educational Campus on Thurs 10/19. All games start at 4:30. The Boys' Cross Country Team competes in the Freshman/sophomore Borough Championships on Tues 10/17. The Girls' Cross Country Team does the same on Wed 10 10/18. The meets start at 4:15. On Sat 10/14 both teams compete in the Manhattan Invitational at Van Cortlandt, and on Sat 10/21, they compete at the Coaches' Invitational at Bowdoin Park, New York.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact Lori O'Mara, at Lomara@schools.nyc.gov to request assistance.